Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"He had me at point blank range".

Friday, December 11, 1863, near Big Lick, Virginia

Outside of a battle, I came today the closest to visiting the next world than I have ever been. It happened just a bit north of Boone's Mill. Whilst in my hired wagon, I saw a ridge coming towards me heading to where I had been. As he got closer, I could see that he was in civilian clothes but had a musket slung over his shoulder and was wearing a cartridge box. I took him to be one of the home guard militia people but he looked familiar. As he neared, I recognized him and called out.

"Addy. Addy Stump. Haloo. Fancy meeting you here, friend". In an instant, he had whipped his musket around and was pointing it straight at my breast. He had me at point blank range. "Addy? Do you not recognize me, David Tooms"?  He replied, "I know who you are, Tooms, and since you know me, I should kill you right here". The look on my face must have resembled a question mark so he explained that he was a deserter. He had left his regiment in August and had been on the run since. He had had enough of the war. He asked me for food and I gave him what had been given me by the Sloans. He took it and then cocked his musket. He stared at me and I stared back, each of us saying nothing.

"I do not wish to kill you, Tooms, and if you will give me your word that you will say nothing about me, I will let you go". I swallowed and said yes, he had my word. With my life in his hands, what else could I do? I put reins to my horse and left Addy on the road. Looking back, he was still where I had left him, his musket no longer pointing at me but he did have it at the ready. I did not breathe easy until I was out of range.

From that point until I reached here, I debated with myself about my promise. It was given but not of my own free will. Certainly while under duress, no promise given is valid. Addison is a deserter in time of war. We need every musket on the line lest we become slaves to the Yankees. His deserting places a greater burden on those who remain on the line, defending our liberties. My internal debate was ended the moment that I saw my destination for the night, the Hofauger place.

George had left to return to the army as his furlough was about to end. I had left the Sloans for the same reason. I do not want to be arrested by Corporal Flynn. Once again, the Hofaugers were my midway resting place.

Without George there, I had no one to talk to. The Hofaugers, especially Samuel, talked quite a bit but I just nodded and let it pass. I have noticed that civilians and soldiers speak two different languages. I would rather return to my pards and the sooner the better. I understand them.

As Addy relieved me of everything I had to eat, the table that Elizabeth set for us was Heaven indeed. I had to restrain myself from feeding like a pig at a trough. While we were eating, we were paid a visit from Miss Kimberly. She was bringing some wool scarves and caps that the Hofaugers had asked her to make. This winter was supposed to be a bad one, she said. She has been very bust dyeing wool and spinning yarn to be made into scarves and mittens for the soldiers. And as a Christmas surprise, she presented the Hofaugers with a strawberry rhubarb pie. Elizabeth produced four plates and we all feasted.

I want to leave here as soon as possible but that would be impolite. With George gone, there are fewer hands to do the chores. There is wood to chop and that bad winter is coming. Also, there is still some pie remaining.


I Send You These Few Lines


For a moment, it looked like this blog was about to come to a conclusion for lack of a live person to continue making entries. Luckily, Addison, "Addy", Stump had second thoughts. According to the National Archives records in College Park, Maryland, Stump enlisted into the Confederate Army in Salem, Virginia, in May of 1862. The enlisting officer was Lieutenant B.P. Dyerele. Stump deserted the army in August of the next year, taking his musket and gear with him. His regiment was the 54th Virginia, a rare Virginia regiment that went west to serve under Bragg and later Joe Johnston. Stump's paper trail at the Archives ends with his desertion.

Tooms needs to be careful that his furlough doesn't end with him away from the army. He needs to hurry up and leave. He can't afford to have anything happen to him now.


No comments:

Post a Comment