Saturday, December 17, 2011

"I have seen this man, Lee".

Tuesday, December 17, 1861

Is there no end to the bad news that has plagued us of late? On this past Wednesday, Charleston suffered from a great conflagration of as yet unknown origins. A great deal of the city is now in ashes. Charleston has been burnt. There is much speculation in camp that the Yankees must have had something to do with it as it could not have come at a worse time for us.

My dear wife, Susan, is safe. The fire did not harm her. She went to Charleston just before the fall of Beaufort and now lives there. I have not mentioned her to this point as it is much too sorrowful to admit that we are separated. I rejoice and give thanks that she was spared. I will kill a Yankee for her.

I have seen this man, Lee. He makes frequent inspections of the works from his headquarters in Coosawatchie. It took some moments to erect myself to a full stance to see him as I and all of us had spent so much time bending over a shovel. Lee was with a few of his staff, pointing fingers and making notes. He is a tall man and has the bearing of a gentleman. He is supposed to desend from a fine Virginia family. He must know something of horses as do all Virginia gentlemen  as he knows how to ride well. He did not come close enough to us to say hello and we heard nothing of what he and his staff were saying. He is supposed to be a general but what he was wearing did not look so.

It continues to get cold and I continue to be watchful for my excellent blanket. Some of us have no blankets or even scarves or gloves. I consider myself quite lucky to have drawers made from canton flannell. Our government has been unable to provide for this army and we soldiers suffer for it.

The Yankees have been quiet for some time. I wish they would come so we could slaughter them from behind our works.

The last of the ham that we commandeered from the rail car is now gone. We are back to crackers and salt pork washed down with bad water. One gets used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment