Thursday, November 3, 2011

"While there is still som..."

Sunday, November 3, 1861

Captain Vanlandingham is a fine gentleman. He knows that I and a few others are from Beaufort District are not from the regiment's home recruiting area of the upcountry. The captain has graciously tendered to me a pass so that I might visit friends and see about my home. I never thought that I would be returning  so soon after enlisting.

It was a simple matter to secure transportation from Fort Beauregard to Beaufort as there are various types of craft going to and fro bringing supplies to both us and Fort Walker on Hilton Head. All the while that I was aboard the Emma, all of us, including myself, were keeping a watchful eye for the Yankee fleet that is heading to some as yet unknown destination along our coast. One could have floated this boat on the rumors that I heard. The Yankees have a hundred ships, a thousand ships. They are coming here, to Charleston. They are re-inforcing their foothold in North Carolina and will march inland burning farms, fields, cities and towns. I still say they are going to Charleston.  Even so, I looked.

Beaufort has not changed a great deal since I left only three months ago. With some exceptions, it appears to be business as usual. There are recruiting and patriotic posters in windows and on walls. There are announcements of socials to raise funds for the cause.
There are not many women on the streets. When I mentioned this to Mr. Fyler in his store, he said that many of the women spend their time making things for the boys. Caps, coats, stockings, drawers, scarfs plus pies, cakes, jams and other foodstuffs fly from the homes heading to the boys in the field. Without the women, how could we sustain ourselves?

In order to tender a debt of gratitude, I paid a visit to the Ladies Aid Society. Even without an appointment or calling card, I was received warmly by the president, Mrs. Morcock and Mrs. Barnwell. Barely did I get a word out of my mouth when a plate of hot food, ham and soft bread, was thrust upon me. There was peach cobbler with heavy cream for dessert and it was such a mile away from the hardtack and salt pork that the army feeds us.

I thanked the gallant ladies on behalf of all of us who have been the recipients of their tender attentions. Mrs. Barnwell asked me if their were any particular needs of the boys that the Society should direct their efforts. I mentioned that as the army marches a great deal, stockings wear out quickly and are in short supply. Some moments later, Miss Barnwell, whom I took to be Mrs. Barnwell's daughter, entered the room and gave me a package and bade me to open it at some future convenient time and place. I gathered from what she said that then and there would not do. 

After a long round of thanks and good-byes, I made my way to Rector Walker's home. As I entrusted my affairs to him before leaving for Columbia to join up, I thought it prudent to pay him a visit. He was not there so I stopped at his church and am writing this while sitting in a pew, surrounded by peace and silence. While there is still som

No comments:

Post a Comment