Sunday, August 21, 2011

"I will go to Columbia".

August 21, 1861

There are not so many young men to be seen. Our President has issued a call for additional volunteers to defend our new nation. Quotas for the states have been assigned. There are several new regiments being formed up at Columbia. South Carolina started the swell for independence. She must do her part.

I stopped at the Post Office the other day and the Postmaster told me of a young lad who had been known to expell fire and brimstone whenever the subject of the conversation turned to Yankeedom. He talked a fine line but did little. The Postmaster said this wag came into his Post Office and was handed a package addressed to him. Being anxious at the prospect of discovering some treasure, he opened it right there. To his horror, he revealed a petticoat sent to him by some of the young ladys of Beaufort with a note that he should try it on as trousers were for men.

I do not expect to be the recipient of any such recommendation of change of my attire but it does raise a question? What is my part in this war?  We have been invaded by a foreign power that seeks to lay waste to our cities, render fallow our fields and slay our people. They mean to strip us naked of our liberties and condem us to perish in the Hell of their version  of slavery.

So far, the war has not visited us here. It has visited us there. It had little affected me. I still dine on the foods of my choice and spend my time enjoying the fruits of my labors as I see fit. I have no sense of sacrifice for the higher good, the common good or any good other than for self. While others have, of their own decision, left their hearths, homes and  loved ones to answer the call to arms to defend us, I and others remain secure in our indulgences and get fat. This is not right. The quality of our freedom is determined by the quantity of our participation.

They say that McDowell is out. A George McClellan is in as the new Yankee army general. Of what stuff is he made? We will have cause to find out. New forces are right now being assembled to attack us and McClellan will lead them. Ever since the capital of the Confederacy was moved from Montgomery to Richmond, it has been the object of their attention. Even if he leads a host of 100,000 against us, we shall whip him as we did that other fellow.

But who shall do the whipping? They outnumber us many times over. All must do their part or all will be lost. Every man and every musket is needed.  I cannot, with a clear conscience, sit home and reap the benefits of freedon while others make the supreme sacrifice on my behalf. I will go to Columbia.



1 comment: